Spiced Beef Fajita Bowls
with roast veg and lime rice
A tortilla-less take on this Tex-Mex favourite. These fajita bowls feature zesty lime rice, spiced roasted veg, a refreshing creamy sauce and juicy steak cooked exactly how you like it.
Mexican Style Spice Mix
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Halve the bell pepper and discard the core and seeds. Slice into thin strips.
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Zest the lime. Cut half into wedges and squeeze the rest.
- Chop the tomato into small pieces.
- Boil a large pot of salted water for the rice.
- When boiling add the rice and cook for 10-12 mins.
- Drain in a sieve and pop back in the pot. Cover with a lid and leave to the side until ready to serve.
TIP: If you’re in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Meanwhile add peppers, half the onion, half the Mexican spice mix and a drizzle of oil to a lined baking tray.
- Season with salt and pepper, then toss to combine.
- Roast in the middle of the oven until tender, 13-16 mins.
- In a bowl mix together the tomato and remaining onion. Season to taste with a drizzle of oil, salt and pepper.
- Add oil to a large pan on high heat.
- Season beef with salt, pepper and remaining Mexican spice. Once oil is hot fry until browned, 2-3 mins each side.
- For medium-rare lower heat to medium. Cook for 1-2 mins more each side.
- Once done, place on a board, cover and rest. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw meat and its packaging. Meat is safe to eat when outside is browned.
TIP: Cook 1-2 mins more each side for more well done.
- Add 1 tsp lime juice, ¼ tsp sugar (double both for 4p), creme fraiche and half the lime zest to a small bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper, then stir to combine.
- Fluff rice with a fork, then stir in remaining lime zest. Divide rice and veg between bowls.
- Slice the steak and divide between bowls.
- Dollop lime sauce over top and spoon over the tomato onion salsa.
- Squeeze over a lime wedge, if desired.