Three Bean Salad
with pickled onion and crumbled cheese
This is a fresh and vibrant salad that celebrates one very important type of food: the legume! With three different types in the mix, you can be sure this is a salad packed with fibre and protein. Crumbled cheese and tangy pickled onions ensure it's got plenty of flavour too.
Red Kidney Beans
Greek Style Cheese
Red Wine Vinegar
Not included in your delivery
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- To a bowl, add the sliced onion and red wine vinegar.
- Mix in 2 tbsp hot water, ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp sugar (double all for 4p).
- Set aside to allow the onion to pickle.
TIP: The thinner you slice the onion the better it will pickle!
- Drain and rinse the kidney beans and cannellini beans in a sieve.
- Trim the green beans then cut into thirds.
- Zest the lemon. Chop into thick wedges.
- Halve the chilli lengthways. Deseed and finely chop.
- In a large bowl, make your dressing by mixing 1 tbsp lemon juice and 2 tbsp oil (double both for 4p) together with the chopped chilli (use less if you don't like spice).
- Place a pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once the pan is hot, add the green beans, season with salt and pepper and fry until starting to char, 2-3 mins.
- Add the lemon zest and a splash of water and immediately cover with a lid or some foil.
- Cook until the green beans are tender, 3-4 mins. Once cooked, remove the pan from the heat.
- Toss the kidney beans and cannellini beans in the dressing and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drain the pickled onion.
- Divide the salad leaves between plates then pile the mixed beans and pickled onion on top.
- Scatter over the lemony green beans and crumble over the cheese.
- Finish with a drizzle of balsamic glaze and serve any remaining lemon wedges alongside.