with fragrant jasmine rice
Bulgogi is a Korean BBQ dish that can feature many proteins—but is most often cooked with beef. The richness of the meat pairs well with the tangy and smoky BBQ flavour bulgogi is known for.
(Contains Sesame May be present Cereals containing gluten, Peanut, Nuts)
(Contains Soya, Wheat)
(Contains Soya, Wheat)
Not included in your delivery
- Pour 300ml cold salted water (double for 4p) into a medium pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Stir in the rice and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to medium, cover with the lid and cook for 12 mins.
- Once cooked, remove the pot from the heat.
- Keep covered for another 12 mins, or until ready to serve (the rice will continue to cook in its own steam).
- Meanwhile, place a large pan over medium heat (without oil).
- Once hot, dry-fry the sesame seeds, stirring regularly, until lightly toasted, 2-3 mins.
- Once toasted, transfer from the pan and set aside (reserve the pan to use later).
TIP: Watch them like a hawk—they can burn easily.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Peel and grate the ginger. Use a teaspoon to scrape away the peel.
- In a large bowl, mix the ginger, garlic, ketjap manis, soy sauce, BBQ rub, 2 tsp sugar (double for 4p) and half the sesame seeds.
- Add the beef to the bowl and allow to sit for 5-10 mins. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw meat.
TIP: Blend the marinade to a smooth paste with a food processor if desired.
- While the meat marinates, halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Trim and thinly slice the scallion.
- Return the pan to high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- When hot, fry the onion and mushrooms until softened, stirring occasionally, 4-5 mins. Once cooked, remove from the pan, then return the pan to high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once the pan is hot, add the beef strips (reserve the marinade remaining in the bowl).
- Fry until browned, shifting as they colour, 2-3 mins. IMPORTANT: Beef is safe to eat when outside is browned.
- Once the beef is browned, add onions and mushrooms back to the pan along with the reserved marinade and 25ml water (double for 4p).
- Cook until warmed through, 1-2 mins.
- Loosen the sauce with a splash of water if required. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork and divide between bowls.
- Top with the beef strips and veg.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of scallion.
- Finish with a scattering of the remaining sesame seeds.