Cheese and Chorizo Quesadillas
with tomato salsa and cooling creme fraiche
These pan-fried quesadillas are a family favourite recipe that features lashings of melted cheese, slightly spiced chorizo and softened veg for a filling that's too good to pass up. Refreshment comes in the form of tomato salsa and zesty creme fraiche.
Mexican Style Spice Mix
Not included in your delivery
- Halve the pepper and discard the core and seeds. Slice into thin strips.
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat (without oil).
- Once hot, fry the half the onion and chorizo until starting to brown, 3-4 mins.
- Add the pepper and Mexican style spice mix with a drizzle of oil, if necessary.
- Fry until softened, 2-3 mins.
- Remove from the heat. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cut the tomato into 1cm cubes.
- Zest and halve the lemon.
- Mix together the creme fraiche and lemon zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss the tomato, remaining onion, ½ tbsp oil and 1 tsp lemon juice (double both for 4p) together in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lay tortillas out on a board.
- Spread a little of the chorizo, pepper and onion mix over one-half of each, leaving a small border around the edge.
- Top with the cheese.
- Fold the tortillas in half to make semicircles.
- Wipe and return the pan to medium-high heat with another drizzle of oil.
- When hot, carefully lay the quesadillas into the pan. Fry until golden, 1-2 mins each side. Turn carefully.
- As they cook, lightly press down on the tortillas with a spatula to ensure they stick together and brown nicely.
TIP: You might have to do this in batches. Add more oil to the pan as needed and cover cooked quesadillas with foil to keep warm.
- Serve the chorizo quesadillas with the tomato salsa and zesty creme fraiche.
- Cut any remaining lemon into wedges and serve alongside.