Chicken and Lemon Orzo
with fennel and Italian style cheese
Sometimes, you have a combination of flavours that's simply meant to be. Chicken, when paired with earthy spices, bright lemon, and herbaceous parsley is certainly an instance of this. This creamy chicken orzo will excite your tastebuds and warm your belly all at once.
Diced Chicken Breast
(Contains Wheat May be present Lupin, Egg, Mustard, Soya)
Grated Italian Style Hard Cheese
Middle Eastern Style Spice Mix
(Contains Sesame, Mustard)
Not included in your delivery
- Boil a large pot of salted water for the orzo.
- When boiling, add the orzo to the water and bring back to the boil.
- Cook until softened, 10-12 mins.
- Once cooked, drain in a sieve and pop back in the pot, off the heat.
- Drizzle with oil and stir through to prevent sticking.
TIP: If you’re in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Meanwhile, zest and quarter the lemon.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Roughly chop the parsley (stalks and all).
- Trim the root tip and green stalks of the fennel. Halve lengthways and thinly slice widthways.
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- When hot, add the fennel and chicken to the pan. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken and its packaging. Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Fry, stirring, until cooked through, 8-10 mins.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is normal due to packaging we use to keep it fresh.
- Add the garlic to the pan along with the Middle Eastern spice mix.
- Fry, stirring, until fragrant, 1 min.
- Add creme fraiche, muscat and 100ml water (double for 4p) to the pan.
- Stir through half the parsley along with the lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Simmer, stirring, until everything is warmed through, 2-3 mins.
- Add the orzo and stir to combine.
- Add another splash of water if you feel the orzo is too dry.
- Taste your dish then season with salt, pepper and more lemon juice if required.
- Divide the orzo between deep plates or bowls.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of cheese and the remaining parsley.
- Serve any remaining lemon wedges alongside for squeezing over.