Chicken and Serrano Ham al Forno
with buttery mash, garlicky broccoli and honeyed carrots
Honey-roasted carrots, garlicky broccoli and creamy mashed potato make an appealing accompaniment to chicken draped in Serrano ham and doused in rice tomato sauce in this undeniably luxurious dish.
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7. Boil a large pot of salted water.
- Chop the potatoes into 2cm chunks (peeling optional).
- Cook the potatoes in the boiling water until fork tender, 15-20 mins.
- Drain in a colander. Return to the pot off the heat.
- Add a knob of butter and a splash of milk or water. Mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
TIP: If you're in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Meanwhile, place a hand flat on top of the chicken breast and slice through horizontally to make two thin steaks. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken and its packaging. Repeat with the other breast(s).
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place a slice of Serrano ham lengthways over each steak.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is normal due to vacuum packing used to keep it fresh.
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, lay in the chicken, with the Serrano ham facing down.
- Cook until golden brown and crispy, 3-6 mins on each side (cook in batches if your pan is getting crowded).
- Once cooked, transfer the chicken to an ovenproof dish. IMPORTANT: Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
TIP: If you haven't got an oven dish you can use a lined baking tray instead.
- Trim the carrot and halve lengthways. Cut into 1cm wide, 5cm long batons.
- Add to a lined baking tray. Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper, toss to coat.
- Roast on the middle shelf of the oven until tender, 20-25 mins. Turn halfway through.
- Cut the broccoli into florets. Halve any large florets. Peel and grate the garlic.
- Toss broccoli with half the garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Roast with carrots for final 10-12 mins of cooking time.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil and the remaining garlic. Fry until fragrant, 1 min.
- Add passata, chicken stock, Worcester sauce and ¼ tsp sugar (double for 4p). Bring to the boil.
- Simmer until thickened, 4-6 mins. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, then tear and scatter the mozzarella over the top.
- Bake the chicken on the top shelf in the oven until cheese is melted, 12-15 mins.
- Toss the roasted carrots with the honey.
- Share your Serrano ham chicken between plates.
- Serve creamy mash, honeyed carrots and garlicky broccoli alongside.
- Spoon over any remaining sauce to finish.