Chicken in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
with basmati rice
There are many reasons this creamy chicken in mushroom sauce is the perfect weeknight meal. Not only is it super speedy to make, it's also made up of those favourite flavours your whole house is sure to love.
Not included in your delivery
- Boil a large pot of salted water for the rice.
- Stir in the chicken stock and mix well.
- Add the rice and cook for 10-12 mins.
- Drain in a sieve and pop back in the pot. Cover with a lid and leave to the side until ready to serve.
TIP: If you're in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Clean the mushrooms with kitchen paper and cut them into quarters.
- Trim the root and the dark green leafy part from the leek. Halve lengthways, then thinly slice.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan on medium-high heat.
- When hot, fry the mushrooms and leek for 4-6 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken breast with oregano, salt and pepper.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in the (now empty) pan and brown the chicken on all sides for 3-5 mins. It shouldn't be fully cooked at this point. IMPORTANT: Wash your hands and equipment after handling raw chicken and its packaging. The chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Add the mushrooms, leek and cream to the pan. Cover and cook for 2-6 mins, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
- Remove the lid and cook for another 4 mins or until the sauce has reduced.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the rice between plates and place the chicken on top.
- Cover with the mushroom and cream sauce.