Chipotle Black Bean Burrito
with avocado and pico de gallo
The burrito is a staple of Tex-Mex cuisine that originates from Ciudad Juárez in Mexico. These hearty plant-based wraps are filled with zesty lime rice, gorgeous green avocado, chipotle black beans, and another Mexican staple—pico de gallo.
(Contains Soya, Wheat)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Boil a large pot of salted water for the rice.
- Add half the rice (double for 4p) and cook for 10-12 mins.
- Drain in a sieve and pop back in the pot.
- Cover with a lid and leave to the side until ready to serve.
TIP: If you’re in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Meanwhile, halve, peel and chop the onion into small pieces.
- Roughly chop the coriander (stalks and all).
- Cut the tomato into 2cm chunks.
- Drain and rinse the black beans in a sieve.
- Zest and quarter the lime. Stir the zest into the cooked rice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place a medium pan over medium heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Mash half the beans with a fork.
- When the oil is hot, add half the chopped onion to the pan and fry for 4-5 mins until softened.
- Add the chipotle paste along with the whole and mashed beans and cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl mix together the remaining chopped onion, tomato and coriander.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Dress the salad leaves with salt, pepper and a drizzle of oil.
- Halve the avocado and remove the pit. Cut into chunks (while still in its skin), then use a tablespoon to scoop out the flesh.
- Place each flatbread on a large piece of aluminium foil or baking paper.
- Along the bottom third of each flatbread, spread a portion of rice.
- Top with beans, avocado, pico de gallo and salad leaves.
- Fold the bottom of the flatbread up over the filling, then fold left and right sides in towards the filling.
- Roll the whole thing over then wrap your burrito tightly in the foil or paper.
TIP: Don’t overfill your burrito to ensure it rolls up.
- Warm the burrito in the oven for 4-5 mins.
- Unwrap then cut in half.
- Serve with any remaining fillings and lime wedges alongside.