Hearty Vegetable Stew
with cheesy crostini
Rich, hearty, warming. These are some of the words that probably spring to mind when you think about a classic comfort dish. They're also exactly the adjectives we'd use to describe this delicious vegetable stew and its accompanying cheesy crostini.
(Contains Wheat, Barley May be present Soya, Milk)
Red Wine Jus
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Trim the carrot and parsnip then quarter lengthways (no need to peel). Chop widthways into small pieces.
- Roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Roughly chop the parsley.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the mushrooms, garlic and carrot until browned, 5-7 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, chop the potatoes into 2cm chunks (peeling optional).
- Add parsnip and potatoes to the pot and fry for 2-3 mins.
- Stir in the red wine jus, veg stock powder, passata and 350ml water (double for 4p).
- Season with salt, pepper and ½ tsp sugar.
- Bring to the boil then simmer until slightly reduced, 12-15 mins.
TIP: If you're in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- While the stew simmers, cut the baguettes into 2cm slices.
- Pop onto a lined baking tray and toast until golden brown, 8-10 mins.
- Once golden, remove from the oven, scatter the cheese over the slices and return to the oven until the cheese has melted, 1-2 mins.
TIP: Keep an eye on them so they don't burn!
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 tbsp flour and 2 tbsp water (double both for 4p).
- Add to the simmering stew and cook for another 3-5 mins.
- Season to taste with sugar, salt and pepper.
- Stir through a knob of butter.
TIP: Add a splash of water if you feel the stew has become too thick.
- Divide hearty helpings of your stew between bowls.
- Serve with the cheesy crostini on the side.
- Garnish with parsley.