Mexican Style Cheesy Beef Hash
with freshly made guacamole
This is a typical potato-based hash with an exciting south-of-the-border twist. Mexican elements come in the form of an expertly blended spice mix and homemade guacamole—of course!
Mexican Style Spice Mix
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Chop the potatoes into 2cm chunks.
- Pop onto a lined baking tray. Drizzle with oil then season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat, spread out and roast until golden, 25-35 mins. Turn halfway through.
- Halve the pepper and discard the core and seeds. Cut into 2cm chunks.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
TIP: Use two baking trays if necessary.
- Meanwhile, place a large pan over medium-high heat (no oil).
- When hot, add the beef and cook until browned, 4-5 mins. Break it up with a spoon as it cooks. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw mince. Mince is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Add the pepper, garlic and Mexican spice mix to the pan with a drizzle of oil if needed.
- Cook until softened, stirring occasionally, 5-7 mins. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour 100ml water (double for 4p) into the pan along with the beef stock powder.
- Stir in the passata, bring to the boil then reduce the heat to medium.
- Allow to simmer and thicken, stirring occasionally, until there is almost no liquid left, 12-15 mins.
TIP: Add a splash of water if the consistency becomes too dry.
- Meanwhile, halve the avocado and remove the pit. Use a spoon to scoop the flesh out into a bowl.
- Halve the lemon and add a squeeze of juice to the bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Mash the avocado with a fork.
- Taste and add more salt, pepper and lemon juice as desired.
- Once the sauce in the pan has thickened, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into an appropriately-sized oven dish, top with the roast potatoes and sprinkle over the cheese.
- Bake on the top shelf of your oven until the cheese has melted and is golden, 8-10 mins.
- Dish up spoonfuls of Mexican spiced cheesy beef hash.
- Top with freshly made guacamole.
- Chop any remaining lemon into wedges and serve alongside for squeezing over.