Middle Eastern Style Prawn Stew
with chickpeas, courgette and fragrant bulgur
This Middle Eastern-inspired stew is bursting with amazing flavours. The harissa spiced prawns shine as the star of the show while the chickpeas, bulgur and veg all work together to make this a perfectly balanced and filling meal.
(Contains Wheat May be present Soya, Peanut, Nuts, Sesame)
Middle Eastern Style Spice Mix
(Contains Sesame, Mustard)
Dried Chilli Flakes
Not included in your delivery
- Place a pot over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Halve, peel and chop the onion into small pieces.
- When oil is hot, fry half the onion until softened, 4-5 mins.
- Add 240ml water (double for 4p) and muscat to the pot. Bring to the boil.
- Add the bulgur, bring back to the boil then simmer for 1 min. Cover and remove from heat. Leave aside for 12-15 mins or until ready to serve.
- Place a (separate) large pot over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the remaining onion.
- Cook until softened, 4-5 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Trim the courgette, then quarter lengthways. Slice widthways into 1cm thick pieces.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Pop half into a bowl and roughly mash with the back of a fork.
- Once the onion has softened, add the garlic, Middle Eastern spice and chickpeas (both whole and mashed). Cook until fragrant, 1 min.
- Pour 100ml water (double for 4p) into the chickpeas along with the passata.
- Stir in chilli flakes (use less if you don't like spice), ½ tsp sugar and ¼ tsp salt (double both for 4p).
- Cover and cook until thickened, 8-10 mins.
- When 5 mins of cooking time remain, stir in the prawns and courgette.
- Cover again and simmer until prawns are cooked through, 4-5 mins. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw prawns. Prawns are cooked when pink on the outside and opaque in the middle.
- Stir a knob of butter and harissa paste through the stew.
- Loosen with a splash of water if you feel it's too thick.
- Season with salt, pepper and sugar.
- When everything is ready, fluff up the bulgur with a fork. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Share the fragrant bulgur between your bowls and top with the harissa prawn stew.
- Finish the stew with a drizzle of honey.