with garlic rice and pickled veg
Miso is a Japanese ingredient that's the ultimate instiller of umami flavour. In this recipe, it coats soft and golden aubergine along with toasted sesame seeds for a symphony of Asian flavours that work beautifully together.
(Contains Soya, Wheat)
(Contains Soya, Wheat)
(Contains Sesame May be present Cereals containing gluten, Peanut, Nuts)
Red Wine Vinegar
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Halve the aubergine lengthways. Score a diamond pattern into the flesh of each half, taking care not to cut too deeply.
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Trim the cucumber, then halve lengthways. Chop into 1cm wide, 5cm long batons.
- Place a pot over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp butter and a drizzle of oil.
- Add garlic and fry until fragrant, 1 min.
- Add the rice, 1 tsp salt and 300ml water (double both for 4p). Bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to medium, cover with the lid and cook for 12 mins.
- Remove the pot from the heat and keep covered for another 12 mins or until ready to serve (the rice will continue to cook in its own steam).
- Meanwhile, place a pan over medium heat (without oil).
- Once hot, dry-fry the sesame seeds, stirring regularly, until lightly toasted, 2-3 mins. Once toasted remove from the pan and set aside.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Place the aubergine halves, skin-side down, into the pan.
- Fry until the aubergine is golden brown, 4 mins on each side.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix the red wine vinegar with 2 tbsp water and 1 tbsp sugar (double for 4p).
- Add the cucumber and sliced onion and set aside.
- Gently toss the veg at regular intervals to coat in the vinegar.
- In a small bowl mix the miso, soy sauce, sesame oil and 1 tbsp sugar (double for 4p).
- Pour into the pan and cook with aubergine now cut-side down for 1-2 mins.
- Place the aubergine halves, skin-side down, into an oven dish.
- Pour any remaining marinade over the aubergine and sprinkle over half the sesame seeds.
- Bake the aubergine in the oven until softened, 10-12 mins.
- Stir the remaining sesame seeds through the rice, fluffing it up as you go.
- Divide the fragrant rice between bowls.
- Serve the roasted aubergine and (drained) pickled veg alongside.