Nicoise Chicken Stew
with aubergine, bell pepper and couscous
This speedy chicken stew is inspired by the no-frills cooking style the south of France is famous for. The technique and ingredients are simple, but the result is simply delicious.
(Contains Wheat May be present Soya)
Chopped Tomato with Onion & Garlic
Diced Chicken Breast
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Trim and chop the aubergine into 2cm pieces. Pop the pieces onto a large (lined) baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat, then arrange in a single layer.
- Roast the aubergine until golden brown and soft, 20-25 mins. Turn halfway through.
- Meanwhile, add 200ml water (500ml for 4p) and stock powder to a pot and bring to the boil.
- When boiling, remove from the heat, stir in the couscous and pop a lid on the pot.
- Leave aside for 8-10 mins or until ready to serve.
TIP: If you're in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- While the couscous cooks, halve the bell pepper and discard the core and seeds. Chop into 2cm chunks.
- Roughly chop the parsley (stalks and all).
- Place a large pan over high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the pepper until charred, 5-6 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper.
TIP: By stirring only every so often you'll allow the pepper to pick up a nice colour.
- Add the chicken to the pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Fry until chicken is golden brown on the outside, 5-6 mins. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken and its packaging.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is normal due to vacuum packing we use to keep it fresh.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high.
- Add the chopped tomato and half the parsley to the pan.
- Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 8-10 mins. IMPORTANT: Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar, adding a splash of water to loosen the sauce if necessary.
- Once cooked, stir through the roasted aubergine.
- Serve the chicken stew on a bed of fluffy couscous.
- Drizzle over a little balsamic glaze.
- Finish with a sprinkling of parsley and pepper.