Potato Topped Chicken Pie
with mushrooms and carrots
This savoury, potato-topped chicken pie is the ultimate in comforting recipes. While it acts as the perfect antidote for dark and cold evenings, this simple and delicious dish is really perfect for any occasion.
Diced Chicken Breast
Not included in your delivery
- Boil a large pot of salted water for the potatoes.
- Chop the potatoes into 2cm chunks (peeling optional).
- Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook until fork tender, 12-18 mins.
- Once cooked, drain the potatoes in a colander and return to the pot, off the heat.
- Add a knob of butter and a splash of milk or water. Mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Trim the carrot (no need to peel). Chop into 1cm chunks.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Place a pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- When hot, add the chicken (cook in batches if necessary). IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken and its packaging.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook until the chicken is browned, 6-7 mins.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is normal due to packaging used to keep it fresh.
- Add the onion and carrot to the pan and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, 4-5 mins.
- Stir in the mushrooms and a little more oil if needed. Turn the heat up slightly.
- Cook everything together until the mushrooms are browned, about 5-6 mins.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, stirring, 1 min.
- Add 150ml water (double for 4p) and stock powder to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the stock powder.
- Add Worcester sauce and creme fraiche. Bring back to the boil, then lower the heat.
- Simmer gently until reduced by around one-third, 3-4 mins.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
TIP: Loosen with a splash of water if necessary!
- Transfer the contents of the pan to an appropriately-sized ovenproof dish.
- Top with the mashed potato. Use the back of a spoon to spread it out.
- Bake on the top shelf of your oven until the mash is golden and chicken is cooked through, 10-15 mins. IMPORTANT: Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Serve straight from the dish!