Sweet Potato and Garam Masala Stew
with kidney beans and coconut milk
This lightly spiced and hearty sweet potato stew is like a warm hug in a bowl. As an added bonus, it's also filled with flavour, packed with protein, and perfectly plant-based. A dish that well and truly has it all!
Red Kidney Beans
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Chop the sweet potato into 2cm chunks (peeling optional).
- Place onto a large (lined) baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil. Season with salt and pepper and then toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer.
- When the oven is hot, roast on the top shelf until golden, 20-30 mins. Turn halfway through.
TIP: Use two baking trays if necessary.
- Trim and thinly slice the scallion, keeping the white and green parts separate.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Halve the bell pepper and discard the core and seeds. Chop into 1cm chunks.
- Zest and halve the lime.
- Drain and rinse the kidney beans in a sieve.
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, add the white of the scallion and pepper.
- Season with salt and pepper and fry until soft and sweet, stirring occasionally, 4-5 mins.
- Add the garlic and garam masala and fry until fragrant, 30 secs.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, kidney beans, 100ml water (double for 4p), stock powder and the coconut milk. Stir well.
- Bring the stew to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 8-10 mins.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- Stir in the roasted sweet potato.
- Add a squeeze of lime juice.
- Taste and season with salt, pepper and more lime juice if desired.
- Spoon the sweet potato stew into bowls.
- Chop any remaining lime into wedges and serve alongside.
- Finish with a sprinkling of green scallion.