Curried Cottage Pie
with roasted broccoli
A traditional recipe gets an exciting upgrade in this East meets West fusion dish. Enjoy the familiar comfort of a classic cottage pie with the invigorating addition of delicious North Indian spices.
Rogan Josh Curry Paste
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7. Boil a large pot of salted water.
- Chop the potatoes into 2cm chunks (peeling optional).
- When the water is boiling, cook potatoes until fork tender, 12-18 mins.
- Once cooked, drain in a colander and return to the pot, off the heat.
- Add a knob of butter and a splash of milk or water. Mash until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
TIP: If you're in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Meanwhile, halve, peel and chop the onion into small pieces.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Trim the tip of the broccoli. Cut head into small florets and stem into 2cm pieces.
- Pop the broccoli onto a lined baking tray. Toss together with a drizzle of oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread out in a single layer.
- When the oven is hot, roast on the top shelf until the edges are crispy and slightly charred, 10-15 mins.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat (without oil).
- When hot, cook the mince until browned, 3-4 mins. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw mince.
- Use a spoon to break the mince up as it cooks. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the onion (with a drizzle of oil if needed) and cook until softened, 4-5 mins.
- Add garlic, curry paste, curry powder and ½ tsp sugar (double for 4p) and fry until fragrant, stirring, 1 min.
- Stir in the beef stock powder and 150ml water (double for 4p). Bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally, 4-5 mins.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar and remove from the heat. IMPORTANT: Mince is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Stir 1 tbsp of butter (double for 4p) through the sauce until melted, 30 secs.
- Transfer the mince to an appropriately-sized ovenproof dish.
- Carefully layer the mash over the top, using the back of a spoon to smooth it out.
- When the broccoli has finished roasting, remove from the oven and transfer to a bowl. Cover with a plate or foil to keep warm.
- Change your oven to grill on high heat.
- Place the pie on the top shelf of your oven and grill until golden and bubbling, 5-6 mins.
- When everything is ready, divide the curried cottage pie between your plates.
- Serve the roasted broccoli alongside.