Lemon and Herb Salmon
with jewelled bulgur and charred courgette
Salmon has a delicate fish that requires careful pairing. The combination of parsley and lemon offers a flavour that's both earthy and bright but won't overpower the dish.
(Contains Wheat May be present Soya, Peanut, Nuts, Sesame)
Not included in your delivery
- Halve and peel the onion. Chop half (double for 4p) into small pieces.
- Zest half the lemon (double for 4p). Cut in half. Roughly chop the parsley (stalks and all).
- Trim the courgette and slice into 1cm rounds. Quarter the tomatoes.
- In a large bowl, mix the lemon zest, salt, pepper and 1 tbsp oil (double for 4p).
- Add the salmon. Turn to coat and set aside. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw fish.
- Place a pot over medium heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, add the chopped onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 3-4 mins.
- Add 240ml water (double for 4p), stir in the stock powder and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the bulgur, bring back up to the boil and simmer for 1 min.
- Cover the pot and remove from the heat. Leave aside for 12-15 mins or until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, place a large pan over medium-high heat (no oil).
- When hot, add the courgette and cook until charred, 3-4 mins. Turn only every so often—this will allow the courgette to pick up a nice colour.
- Once cooked, season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer half the charred courgette to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Chop the remaining courgette into small pieces and set aside.
- Return the (now empty) pan to high heat.
- Once hot, carefully place your salmon into the pan, skin-side down.
- Spoon over any oil remaining in the bowl.
- Cook skin-side down for 4-5 mins then turn over and cook for 3-4 mins on the other side. IMPORTANT: Fish is cooked when opaque in the middle.
TIP: To make the fish more crispy, don't move it around when it's cooking skin-side down.
- Meanwhile, to a small bowl add 1½ tbsp oil (double for 4p), a squeeze of lemon juice and half the parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Fluff up the bulgur with a fork.
- Stir through the tomatoes, chopped courgette, remaining parsley and a small squeeze of lemon juice.
- Share the jewelled bulgur between bowls or deep plates, then top with the charred courgette rounds and crispy salmon.
- Taste and season with salt, pepper and more lemon juice if needed.
- Drizzle over the herby dressing to finish.