Mexican Spiced Black Beans
with chipotle aioli and BBQ sauce
Protein-packed and fibre-filled black beans are smothered in melted cheese, covered in a rich tangy sauce, sprinkled with scallions and set atop a bed of fluffy rice in this Mexican-inspired recipe that's nourishing and tasty in equal measure.
Mexican Style Spice Mix
(Contains Soya, Wheat)
(Contains Egg, Mustard)
Not included in your delivery
1 to taste
- Pour 300ml cold salted water (double for 4p) into a medium pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Stir in the rice and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 10 mins.
- Remove from the heat.
- Keep covered for 10 mins or until ready to serve (the rice will continue to cook in its own steam).
- Halve the pepper and discard the core and seeds. Chop into 2cm chunks.
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the shallot.
- Drain and rinse the black beans in a sieve.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Add the shallot and bell pepper. Cook until softened, 4-5 mins.
- Pop in the Mexican spice mix and fry for 1 min more.
- Next add the tomato paste, beans, vegetable stock powder, ½ tsp sugar and 100ml water (double both for 4p).
- Cover and simmer for 4-5 mins.
- Meanwhile, trim and thinly slice the scallion.
- In a small bowl mix half the chipotle paste with the aioli.
- Once the pepper has softened, remove the pan from the heat.
- Mix in the remaining chipotle paste and a knob of butter.
- Add a splash of water if you feel the sauce needs loosening. Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Scatter over the cheese and keep the pan covered for 1-2 mins to allow the cheese to melt.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork and divide between bowls.
- Top with cheesy Mexican spiced veg.
- Drizzle over the chipotle aioli and BBQ sauce.
- Finish with a scattering of sliced scallion.