Roast Bell Pepper Risotto
with fresh tomatoes and chilli garnish
Risotto is a classic Italian dish consisting of rice that's slowly cooked with stock until it's rich and creamy. This particular one is of the veggie variety and features juicy tomatoes and fresh chilli for optional added bite.
Grated Italian Style Hard Cheese
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Halve, peel and chop the onion into small pieces. Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Deseed and finely chop the chilli.
- Cut the tomato into 1cm cubes.
- Halve the pepper and discard the core and seeds. Slice into thin strips. Pop onto a lined baking tray. Season with salt and pepper. When the oven is hot, roast on the top shelf until soft and charred, 15-18 mins.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tbsp butter (double for 4p) in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic with a drizzle of oil.
- Lower heat and fry for 5 mins, or until onions are softened.
- Add the risotto rice, stir and cook until the edges of the rice are translucent, 1-2 mins.
- Dilute the stock with 1L hot water (double for 4p).
- Stir in a ladle of your stock. When the stock has been absorbed by the rice, stir in another ladle.
- Keep the pan on medium heat and continue stirring in stock, letting it absorb each time.
- Add additional water if the risotto becomes too dry.
- Stir the diced tomato through the risotto.
- Add the remaining stock to the risotto and let the rice slowly absorb the stock again. Keep stirring.
- The cooking time should take 25-30 mins and your risotto is done when the rice is al dente—cooked through but with a tiny bit of firmness left in the middle.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Roughly tear the basil leaves.
- Stir half the cheese into the risotto together with half the basil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and let stand, covered, for 2 mins.
- Divide the risotto between plates or bowls.
- Garnish with the roasted pepper and remaining cheese.
- Add chilli to taste (use less if you don't like spice).
- Finish with a sprinkling of the remaining basil.