Tofu and Veg Satay
with fresh chilli garnish and jasmine rice
Satay is an Indonesian sauce whose main component is peanuts. This sauce is widely used in Indonesian cuisine and is often served with chicken. This version utilizes spiced tofu instead, for a veggie curry that will treat the tastebuds.
Thai Style Spice Mix
Sweet Chilli Sauce
(Contains Soya, Wheat)
Not included in your delivery
- Add 300ml cold salted water (double for 4p) to a medium pot.
- Stir in the rice. Bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, lower heat to medium, cover and cook for 12 mins.
- Remove from the heat. Keep covered for another 12 mins (the rice will continue to cook in its own steam).
- Meanwhile, drain the tofu and chop into 2cm cubes. Pat dry with kitchen paper. Toss with a drizzle of oil, half the Thai spice, ½ tsp salt (double for 4p) and pepper.
- Place a pan over high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the tofu until slightly crispy, shifting as it colours, 6-8 mins.
- Once cooked, season with salt and pepper, transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- While the tofu fries, halve the pepper and discard the core and seeds. Chop into thin strips.
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Give the now-empty pan a quick wipe then return to high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the pepper and onion until softened, 5-6 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- While the veg cooks, halve the chilli and discard the core and seeds. Finely chop.
- When 1 min of cooking time remains, add the remaining Thai spice and half the chilli (use less if you don't like spice) to the pan.
- Stir peanut butter, coconut milk and 175ml water (double for 4p) into the pan. Mix well to combine.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, 2-3 mins.
- While the curry simmers, quarter the lime.
- When the curry has thickened, stir in ½ tsp sugar, the juice from two lime wedges (double both for 4p), ketjap manis and sweet chilli sauce.
- Season to taste with sugar, salt and pepper. Add a splash of water if you feel the curry is too thick.
- Stir the cooked tofu into the curry.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork.
- Share the rice between bowls.
- Spoon over the coconut satay curry.
- Finish with a sprinkling of remaining chilli (use less if you don't like spice).