White Bean Shakshouka
with coriander and crumbled goat's cheese
This recipe is a new take on a classic shakshouka. Though it contains the traditional elements of a rich tomato-based sauce and gently simmered eggs, it also has unexpected additions such as lime juice, warmed tortillas and Central American spices.
Central American Style Spice Mix
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven (for the tortillas) to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Drain and rinse the cannellini beans in a sieve. Quarter the lime.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press). Roughly chop the coriander (stalks and all).
- Trim and thinly slice the scallion. Keep the white and green parts separate.
TIP: To avoid turning on your oven, you can warm the tortillas by dry-frying them in a pan instead!
- Place a pan over medium heat (without oil).
- Once hot, dry-fry the Central American spice mix until fragrant, 1 min.
- Add a drizzle of oil to the pan then fry the garlic, beans and white portion of the scallion until softened, 2-3 mins.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and the juice of 2 lime wedges (double for 4p).
- Mix well and simmer until warmed through, 3-4 mins.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Make craters in the sauce and crack in your eggs (1 per person).
- Cover the pan and cook for 6-8 mins.
- Remove the lid after 4 mins and crumble over the goat's cheese.
- Simmer uncovered for the remaining cooking time to evaporate any excess water.
- While the shakshouka cooks, pop the tortillas into the oven to warm, 1-2 mins.
TIP: If you prefer, warm the tortillas by dry-frying them in the pan for 1-2 mins.
- Divide the white bean shakshouka between bowls.
- Garnish with the chopped coriander and green of the scallion.
- Serve with the warmed tortillas and any remaining lime wedges alongside.