Asian Crumbed Chicken Bowl
with mushrooms and pickled cucumber
This rice bowl recipe features simple ingredients used in interesting ways. Fragrant rice is elevated with apple cider vinegar, which is also used to pickle the cucumber in this dish. A slightly spicy aioli and sticky fried mushrooms and crispy chicken round out a satisfying and exciting dish.
Sweet Chilli Sauce
Diced Chicken Breast
Apple Cider Vinegar
(Contains Egg, Mustard)
(Contains Soya, Wheat)
(Contains Soya, Wheat)
Not included in your delivery
- Place a pot over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the rice and 300ml cold water (double for 4p). Bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, lower heat to medium, cover with the lid and cook for 12 mins.
- Remove the pot from the heat and keep covered for another 12 mins or until ready to serve (the rice will continue to cook in its own steam).
- Once ready, add ¼ tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar (double both for 4p) and half the apple cider vinegar. Mix well to combine.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Trim and thinly slice the scallion.
- Deseed the chilli and finely chop.
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Fry the mushrooms with the white of the scallion for 5-6 mins. Stir in the ketjap manis. Remove from the pan and cover to keep warm (give the pan a wipe, you'll be using it later).
- Meanwhile, trim and halve the cucumber lengthways. Scoop out the seeds. Chop widthways into small pieces.
- In a bowl, mix remaining vinegar, ¼ tsp salt and 1 tsp sugar (double both for 4p).
- Add cucumber and set aside. Toss occasionally.
- Mix aioli with sweet chilli sauce.
- Add gochujang to aioli a little at a time, tasting as you go—it's spicy!
TIP: If you don't like spice simply leave out the gochujang. It will still taste delicious without!
- In a bowl, carefully beat one egg (double for 4p). Season with salt and pepper.
- To another bowl, add breadcrumbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the chicken first in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken and its packaging.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don't worry! This is normal due to packaging used to keep it fresh!
- Return the pan to high heat with enough oil to completely coat the bottom.
- Once the oil is hot, carefully add the crumbed chicken to the pan.
- Fry until golden, 5-8 mins. Turn every 2-3 mins and adjust the heat if needed. IMPORTANT: Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
TIP: You want the oil to be hot so the chicken fries properly. Heat for 2-3 mins before adding the chicken.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork and divide between bowls.
- Serve the cucumber, fried mushrooms and crispy chicken on top.
- Drizzle over the aioli.
- Garnish with a scattering of green scallion and as much chopped chilli as you like (use less if cooking for kids or if you don't like spice).