Beef Rogan Josh
with crispy potatoes and creme fraiche
Rogan josh is a signature recipe in Kashmiri cuisine. Our twist on this delicious dish features spiced beef and lentils topped with crispy roasted potatoes and a generous dollop of cooling creme fraiche.
Rogan Josh Curry Paste
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Chop the potatoes into 2cm chunks (no need to peel).
- Trim the carrot (unpeeled), quarter lengthways then chop into 1cm chunks.
- Halve the chilli lengthways, deseed then thinly slice widthways.
- Drain and rinse lentils in a sieve.
- Pop the potatoes onto a lined baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle over the turmeric and toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer.
- Roast the potatoes on the top shelf of your oven until golden and crispy, 25-35 mins. Turn halfway through cooking.
TIP: Use two baking trays if necessary.
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat (without oil).
- Once hot, add the beef mince and season with salt and pepper.
- Fry until browned, 4-5 mins. Break it up with a spoon as it cooks. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw meat. Mince is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Add the chopped carrot to the pan and fry until softened, 3-4 mins.
- Add chilli (use less if you don't like spice) and rogan josh paste.
- Stir together and cook until fragrant, 1 min.
- Add the passata, lentils, stock powder and 200ml water (double for 4p) to the pan.
- Stir together and bring to the boil, then simmer until the curry has reduced, 10-12 mins.
- Once the curry is cooked, season to taste with salt and pepper.
TIP: Add a splash of water if you feel the sauce needs loosening.
- Divide the beef rogan josh between bowls.
- Scatter the roast potatoes on top.
- Spoon over a dollop of cooling creme fraiche.
- Garnish to taste with any remaining chilli.