Cajun Fried Chicken
with creamy mash and zesty shredded salad
Earthy herbs and smoky spices are hallmarks of Cajun cuisine. It just so happens that both pair particularly well with crispy breaded fried chicken as you'll see in this simple and super delicious recipe.
Cajun Spice Mix
Not included in your delivery
- Boil a large pot of salted water for the potatoes.
- Chop into 2cm chunks (peeling optional).
- When boiling, add the potatoes, lower heat to medium and cook until fork tender, 12-18 mins.
- Once cooked, drain in a colander and return to the pot, off the heat.
- Add a knob of butter and a little milk or water. Mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
TIP: If you’re in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Quarter the lime.
- Coarsely chop the parsley (stalks and all).
- Trim and grate the carrot (unpeeled).
- In a deep plate or large bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with the Cajun spice mix, ¼ tsp salt (double for 4p) and pepper.
- Beat 1 egg (double for 4p) in a separate deep plate or large bowl.
- Place your hand flat on top of the chicken and cut horizontally from thick end to thin point until there's 2cm left (don't cut all the way through). IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken and its packaging.
- Open it up like a book.
- Dip chicken first in egg then in breadcrumbs.
- Transfer to a clean plate.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is normal due to packaging used to keep it fresh.
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat with enough oil to cover the bottom.
- Once hot, carefully lay the chicken into the pan and reduce the heat to medium-high.
- Fry until golden brown and cooked through, 8-10 mins.
- Turn every 2-3 mins, adjusting the heat if necessary. IMPORTANT: Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
TIP: Allow the oil to get nice and hot so the chicken fries properly.
- Quarter, core and thinly slice the apple (no need to peel).
- In a medium bowl mix 1 tbsp lime juice (double for 4p), a drizzle of oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the carrot, salad leaves, apple, and half the parsley.
- Toss together to coat well in the dressing.
- Arrange the mashed potato, chicken and zesty salad on plates.
- Finish with a sprinkling of the remaining parsley.
- Serve any remaining lime wedges alongside.