Hake in Herby Aioli
with mashed potatoes and roasted carrots
A low and slow roasting technique is employed in this deceptively simple recipe to ensure that the carrots are almost melt-in-your-mouth tender, much like the hake they accompany.
(Contains Barley, Mustard, Wheat)
(Contains Egg, Mustard)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7. Boil a large pot of salted water for the potatoes.
- Chop the potatoes into 2cm chunks (peeling optional).
- Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook until fork tender, 15-20 mins.
- Once cooked, drain the potatoes in a colander and return to the pot off the heat.
- Add a knob of butter and a splash of water or milk. Mash until smooth, season with salt and pepper then cover to keep warm.
- While the potatoes are boiling, trim the carrots then quarter lengthways (no need to peel).
- Finely chop the chives.
- Pop the carrots onto a large (lined) baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil, season with paprika, salt and pepper then toss to coat.
- Spread out in a single layer.
- When the oven is hot, roast on the top shelf until tender, 20-25 mins. Turn halfway through.
- Meanwhile, chop the lemon into 4 wedges.
- In a small bowl, combine the aioli, mustard, chopped chives and 1 tbsp lemon juice (double for 4p).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When the carrots have 5 mins left to cook, melt 1 tbsp butter (double for 4p) in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the hake and fry, 4-5 mins on each side, or until cooked through. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw fish. Fish is cooked when opaque in the middle.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the carrots and mashed potato between plates.
- Plate the hake alongside, drizzling over any buttery juices from the pan.
- Serve the herby aioli sauce on the side with any remaining lemon wedges.