North Indian Tofu Curry
with mushrooms and rice
This aromatic veggie curry is a tapestry of tastes and textures. Crispy tofu, charred mushrooms, zippy chives and fragrant garlic are only a few of the elements that make this dish delicious.
Chopped Tomato with Onion & Garlic
Rogan Josh Curry Paste
North Indian Style Spice Mix
Not included in your delivery
- Pour 300ml cold salted water (double for 4p) into a medium pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Stir in the rice and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 10 mins, then remove the pot from the heat.
- Keep covered for 10 mins or until ready to serve (the rice will continue to cook in its own steam).
- Drain the tofu and chop into 1cm cubes. Pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Toss the tofu with a drizzle of oil, half the North Indian spice and ½ tsp salt (double for 4p).
- Place a separate pot over high heat with a good glug of oil.
- Once hot, fry the tofu until slightly crispy, 6-8 mins. Shift frequently to ensure it doesn't burn. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Remove the pot from the heat and reserve to use later.
- Meanwhile, peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Roughly chop the chives (use scissors if you prefer).
- Return the pot to a high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the mushrooms until softened, 3-4 mins. Shift frequently to ensure they don't burn. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the garlic and remaining North Indian spice.
- Fry until fragrant, 30 secs.
- Pop in the chopped tomatoes, ½ tsp sugar and 50ml water (double both for 4p).
- Cover and simmer for 4-5 mins.
- Once the curry has simmered, remove the pot from the heat.
- Stir through the tofu, rogan josh paste, honey and a knob of butter.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.
TIP: Add a splash of water if you feel the sauce needs loosening.
- Divide the tofu curry between bowls.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork and serve alongside.
- Finish with a sprinkling of chopped chives.