Pho Style Tofu Soup
Pho Style Tofu Soup
with pak choi and optional soft-boiled egg
This beautiful broth-based noodle dish is inspired by pho—a traditional Vietnamese soup consisting of broth, noodles and herbs. This take on a Vietnamese favourite consists of fried tofu, vibrant veg, and an optional soft-boiled egg to top everything off.
Under 650 calories
•Egg(s) not included
Total Time30 minutes
Cooking Time25 minutes
(Contains Wheat, Sesame, Soya)
Not included in your delivery
Energy (kcal)507 kcal
Energy (kJ)2119 kJ
of which saturates1.7 g
of which sugars14 g
Dietary Fiber0 g
Due to the different suppliers we purchase our products from, nutritional facts per meal can vary from the website to what is received in the delivered box, depending on your region.
- Drain the tofu and chop into 2cm cubes. Pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Place a large pot over high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once oil is hot, fry the tofu until slightly crispy, 7-10 mins. Shift frequently to ensure it doesn't burn. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the pot and set aside. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, trim the pak choi, then thinly slice widthways.
- Trim the carrot, then coarsely grate (no need to peel).
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Peel and grate the ginger. Use a teaspoon to easily scrape away the peel.
- Quarter the lime. Thinly slice the scallion. Thinly the chilli widthways—at an angle.
- Return the (now empty) pot to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Add the onion and ginger to the pot and fry until softened, stirring occasionally, 4-5 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 600ml water (double for 4p), hoisin sauce and stock powder to the pot.
- Cover the pot and allow to simmer for 10-12 mins.
- When 3-4 mins of cooking time remain add the pak choi, carrot, fried tofu and half the sliced chilli (use less if you don't like spice) to the simmering stock. Cook until the veg is softened.
- Gently separate the noodles and add them to the pot to warm through.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Meanwhile, boil a medium pot of water (for the eggs) over medium-high heat.
- Once boiling, carefully add 2 eggs (double for 4p).
- Simmer gently for 4-6 mins for soft-boiled eggs.
- Once cooked to your preference, remove from the pot and add to a bowl of cold water—this will prevent them from cooking any more!
- Carefully peel the eggs and halve lengthways. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide your pho style veg and tofu soup between bowls.
- Lay the soft-boiled egg on top.
- Garnish with sliced scallion, any remaining chilli and any remaining lime wedges.