Quick Chilli con Carne
Quick Chilli con Carne
with cheesy topping and fluffy rice
Despite its Spanish name, Chilli con Carne (simply meaning chilli with meat) actually originates from the US state of Texas. It's here that the cuisine known as Tex-Mex first came to be, which explains the Mexican influences in this dish.
Total Time25 minutes
Cooking Time20 minutes
Red Kidney Beans
Mexican Style Spice Mix
Chopped Tomato with Onion & Garlic
Not included in your delivery
Energy (kcal)947 kcal
Energy (kJ)3962 kJ
of which saturates15.1 g
of which sugars17.6 g
Dietary Fiber14.4 g
Due to the different suppliers we purchase our products from, nutritional facts per meal can vary from the website to what is received in the delivered box, depending on your region.
- Pour 300ml cold salted water (double for 4p) into a medium pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Stir in the rice and cumin and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to medium and cover with the lid.
- Cook for 10 mins, then remove the pot from the heat.
- Leave covered for another 10 mins or until ready to serve (the rice will continue to cook in its own steam).
- Halve the chilli lengthways. Discard the core and seeds and finely chop.
- Halve the pepper and discard the core and seeds. Slice into thin strips.
- Drain and rinse the kidney beans in a sieve.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat (without oil).
- Once hot, fry the beef mince until browned, 5-6 mins. Use a spoon to break it up as it cooks. IMPORTANT: Wash your hands and equipment after handling raw mince. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the bell pepper to the pan (with a drizzle of oil if necessary). Stir and cook for 2 mins.
- Stir in the Mexican spice mix, chopped tomatoes and beef stock powder.
- Add the kidney beans and 75ml water (double for 4p) and bring to the boil.
- Lower heat to medium and simmer until the sauce is nice and thick, 8-10 mins. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. IMPORTANT: Mince is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Once cooked, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Loosen the sauce with a splash of water if necessary.
- Fluff up the cumin rice and share between bowls.
- Serve the chilli con carne on top of the rice and finish with a sprinkling of cheese and chilli.