Warming Winter Risotto
with spinach and sprinkled walnuts
Whether it's the velvety consistency or the amount of delicious veg packed inside, this veggie winter risotto is an inherently comforting dish. Serve piled high in bowls and finished off with a sprinkling of cheese and walnuts for added taste and texture.
Grated Italian Style Hard Cheese
Red Wine Vinegar
(Contains Walnuts May be present Peanut, Sesame, Cereals containing gluten)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7. Dilute the stock in 750ml hot water (double for 4p).
- Halve, peel and chop the onion into small pieces. Thinly slice mushrooms.
- Remove the root and the dark green leafy part from the leek then cut in half widthways. Take half (double for 4p) and halve lengthways, then thinly slice.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Roughly chop walnuts. Roughly chop spinach.
- Place a large pan over medium heat with 3 tbsp butter (double for 4p).
- When hot, add onion, leek and mushrooms. Season with salt.
- Cook until softened, stirring occasionally, 2-3 mins.
- Add the garlic and vinegar.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 1-2 mins.
- Add the rice, stir and cook until edges of rice are translucent, 1-2 mins.
- Stir in a ladle of your stock. When stock has been absorbed, stir in another ladle.
- Keep the pan on medium heat and continue stirring in stock, letting it absorb each time. Cooking time should take 25-30 mins and your risotto is done when the rice is al dente—cooked through but with a tiny bit of firmness left in the middle.
- Add additional water if it becomes too dry.
- Meanwhile, add tomatoes and 1 tbsp oil (double for 4p) to a lined baking tray.
- Season with salt and pepper, then toss to coat.
- Roast in the middle of the oven until tomatoes start to burst, 10-11 mins.
TIP: Keep your eye on them so they don't burn!
- When the last of the stock has been absorbed and rice is creamy, add cheese and spinach to risotto.
- Stir until spinach wilts, 3-4 mins.
- Stir in roasted tomatoes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide risotto between bowls.
- Finish with a sprinkling of walnuts.