Courgette and Pork Chilli
with cannellini beans and rice
A variation on a traditional chilli con carne, this hearty stew uses courgette and onion for added taste and texture—and some added good-for-you nutrients too.
Grated Italian Style Hard Cheese
Dried Chilli Flakes
Central American Style Spice Mix
Not included in your delivery
- Pour 300ml cold salted water (double for 4p) into a medium pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Stir in the rice and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 10 mins.
- Remove from the heat.
- Keep covered for 10 mins or until ready to serve (the rice will continue to cook in its own steam).
- Halve, peel and finely chop the onion.
- Trim the courgette then quarter lengthways. Chop widthways into 1cm chunks.
- Roughly chop the parsley (stalks and all).
- Drain and rinse the cannellini beans in a sieve.
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, add the onion and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the onion until softened, stirring occasionally, 4-5 mins.
- Add the pork mince and fry until browned, 4-5 mins. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw meat. Mince is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Break it up with a spoon as it cooks. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cannellini beans to the pot along with the Central American spice and paprika.
- Cook, stirring continuously, 1 min.
- Add passata, stock powder and 150ml water (double for 4p).
- Bring to the boil then lower the heat, cover and simmer, 10-12 mins.
- When the stew has 5 mins of cooking time left, remove the lid and add the chilli flakes (use less if you don't like spice) and courgette.
- Cook, uncovered, until softened, 4-5 mins.
- Taste and season with salt, pepper and sugar.
TIP: Loosen with a splash of water if necessary!
- Fluff up the rice with a fork and divide between bowls.
- Top with spoonfuls of hearty chilli.
- Garnish with cheese and chopped parsley.