Scallion and Sesame Chicken
with green beans and fragrant rice
Though small and simple, the toasted sesame seeds in this recipe bring a nice nutty flavour to this Asian-inspired recipe. As an added bonus, they also give the tangy teriyaki chicken welcome texture and crunch.
(Contains Soya, Wheat)
(Contains Sesame May be present Cereals containing gluten, Peanut, Nuts)
Diced Chicken Breast
Not included in your delivery
- Pour 300ml cold salted water (double for 4p) into a medium pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Stir in the rice and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to medium, cover with the lid and cook for 12 mins.
- Once cooked, remove the pot from the heat.
- Keep covered for another 12 mins or until ready to serve (the rice will continue to cook in its own steam).
- Meanwhile, halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Trim the green beans and chop into thirds.
- Halve and deseed the chilli. Thinly slice half lengthways, and finely chop the other half.
- Trim the scallion and thinly slice.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Place a large pan over medium heat (no oil).
- Once hot, add the sesame seeds.
- Dry-fry, stirring regularly, until lightly toasted, 1-2 mins.
- Once cooked, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
TIP: Watch them like a hawk—they can burn easily!
- Return the pan to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- When hot, add the chicken, season with salt and pepper and fry until golden, 4-5 mins. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken and its packaging.
- Add onion and green beans. Cook until softened, 3-4 mins.
- Add the garlic and fry until fragrant, 1 min.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is normal due to packaging used to keep it fresh.
- Add the teriyaki sauce, chopped chilli and 75ml water (double for 4p) to the pan.
- Stir everything together and simmer until the sauce is sticky and the chicken is cooked through, 2-3 mins. IMPORTANT: Chicken is safe to eat when no longer pink in the middle.
- Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the sesame seeds.
TIP: Add a splash of water if you feel the sauce needs loosening.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork and divide between bowls.
- Top with the teriyaki chicken and veg.
- Finish with a sprinkle of scallion and sliced chilli (use less if you don't like spice).