West African Spiced Peanut Stew
with sweet potato and bulgur wheat
Peanut stew is a staple in West African cuisine that has many variations. This vegan version is creamy, warming and hearty. It's also filled with delicious pulses, grains, and vibrant veg.
Chopped Tomato with Onion & Garlic
(Contains Wheat May be present Soya, Peanut, Nuts, Sesame)
(Contains Peanut May be present Nuts, Sesame, Cereals containing gluten)
Not included in your delivery
- Pour 240ml water (double for 4p) into a large pot. Stir in the stock powder and bring to the boil.
- Chop the sweet potato into 2cm chunks (peeling optional).
- Roughly chop the parsley (stalks and all).
- Drain and rinse the lentils in a sieve.
- Zest and cut the lime into wedges.
TIP: If you’re in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Once the water is boiling, stir in the bulgur then bring back to the boil.
- Simmer for 1 min then pop a lid on the pot and remove from the heat.
- Leave aside for 12-15 mins or until ready to serve.
- Place a separate large pot over high heat with a generous drizzle of oil.
- When hot, add the sweet potato and fry for 4-5 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Lower the heat to medium-high then add the ras-el-hanout with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring, for 1 min.
- Pour the chopped tomatoes, coconut milk and 75ml water (double for 4p) into the pot with the sweet potato.
- Stir in the lentils and peanut butter and give everything a good mix.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 10-12 mins.
TIP: Add a splash of water if the sauce becomes too thick.
- Fluff up the bulgur with a fork.
- Stir through the lime zest and half the parsley.
- Spoon the fluffy bulgur into bowls.
- Top with generous helpings of the spiced peanut stew.
- Garnish with peanuts, lime wedges and remaining parsley.