Beetroot and Goat's Cheese Salad
with apple and crispy lentils
Creamy melting goat's cheese slathered in herbs tops this abundant salad, but it's really only the tip of the iceberg. Beautiful beetroot, crunchy lentils and crisp apple slices provide an array of different flavours with a good mix of tender veg and crunchy textures at play.
(Contains Barley, Mustard, Wheat)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Drain and rinse the lentils in a sieve. Trim the carrot then halve lengthways (no need to peel). Chop into 1cm wide, 5cm long batons.
- Place the carrot and drained lentils on a lined baking tray.
- Toss with salt, pepper and a drizzle of oil. Spread out in a single layer.
- Bake on the top shelf of the oven until the carrot is soft and the lentils are crispy, 18-20 mins.
- Meanwhile, cut the goat's cheese into 1cm thick rounds and place on a separate lined baking tray.
- In a small bowl, mix the Italian herbs with a good glug of oil.
- Pour the herby oil over the goat's cheese.
- When 5 mins of cooking time remain for the carrot and lentils, bake the goat's cheese in the oven until starting to melt, 5-6 min.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl for the salad mix together the honey and mustard.
- Stir in 1 tsp sugar, ½ tsp salt and 2 tbsp oil (double all for 4p).
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired.
TIP: If your honey has hardened, pop the sachet into a bowl of hot water to soften, 1-2 mins.
- Trim the baby gem, quarter lengthways and roughly chop widthways.
- Cut the beetroot into 2cm chunks.
- Quarter the apple and remove the core and seeds. Cut lengthways into thin slices.
TIP: Wear gloves when handling the beetroot to avoid staining your hands.
- When everything is almost ready, add the salad leaves, beetroot and apple to the salad bowl.
- Toss to coat everything in the honey mustard dressing.
- Divide your dressed salad between bowls.
- Top with the warmed goat's cheese, crispy lentils, roasted carrots.