Middle Eastern Mushroom Rice Bowl
with golden fried cheese and refreshing yoghurt sauce
This is a veggie dish that can only be described as abundant. The myriad of flavours, textures, and aromas you'll find yourself experiencing when you try this rice bowl for yourself will leave you both satiated and inspired.
Middle Eastern Style Spice Mix
(Contains Sesame, Mustard)
Dried Chilli Flakes
Not included in your delivery
- Halve and peel the onion. Finely chop half and cut the other half into thin slices.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press). Halve the lemon.
- Quarter the mushrooms, halving any larger quarters.
- Halve the pepper and discard the core and seeds. Slice into thin strips.
- Drain the grilling cheese then cut it into 1cm cubes. Place cubes in a bowl of cold water and leave to soak.
- Place a pot with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat with ½ tbsp butter (double for 4p).
- When hot, fry the finely chopped onion for 2-3 mins.
- Stir in the rice, vegetable stock powder and 300ml cold salted water (double for 4p).
- Bring to the boil then lower the heat to medium and cover with the lid.
- Cook for 10 mins, then remove the pot from the heat and keep covered for 10 mins more (the rice will continue to cook in its own steam).
- Meanwhile, place a pan over medium-high heat with ½ tbsp of butter (double for 4p).
- Once hot, fry the garlic and sliced onion for 3-4 mins.
- Add the Middle Eastern spice mix, pepper and mushrooms and fry on high heat for 6-8 mins.
- Add 2 tsp lemon juice (double for 4p) and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer from the pan and cover to keep warm.
- Remove the cheese from the water, pop onto a plate lined with kitchen paper and pat dry.
- Wipe the pan and return to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the grilling cheese until golden, shifting frequently, 4-5 mins.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the coriander (stalks and all).
- In a bowl, mix half the coriander with the yoghurt, chilli flakes (use less if you don't like spice), 2 tsp lemon juice and ½ tbsp oil (double both for 4p).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the rice between bowls and spoon over the spiced veg.
- Arrange cubes of golden grilling cheese on top.
- Garnish with the yoghurt sauce and remaining coriander.