Spicy Chickpea Tagine
with harissa yoghurt and roast aubergine
One of the standout North African flavours in this tasty tagine is the spice blend ras-el-hanout. The name literally translates as 'head of the shop' a nod to the fact that it's made up of only the finest spices.
Chopped Tomato with Onion & Garlic
(Contains Wheat May be present Soya)
(Contains Almonds May be present Sesame, Cereals containing gluten, Peanut)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Add the couscous to a medium bowl with ½ tsp salt (double for 4p) and a pinch of pepper.
- Pour 200ml boiling water (500ml for 4p) into the bowl.
- Cover with a plate or cling film and leave aside for 10 mins (or until ready to serve).
- Trim the aubergine then cut into 2cm pieces. Pop onto a lined baking tray.
- Drizzle with a good glug of oil, season with salt and pepper then toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer.
- When the oven is hot, roast on the top shelf until the aubergine is soft and golden, 20-25 mins. Turn halfway through.
- Meanwhile, place a large pan (without oil) over medium-high heat.
- Pick the mint leaves from their stalks and roughly chop (discard the stalks).
- Once the pan is hot, dry-fry the almonds, stirring regularly, until lightly toasted, 3-4 mins.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
TIP: Watch them like a hawk as they can burn easily.
- Return the (now empty) pan to medium-high heat with a good glug of oil.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas in a sieve. Pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Fry the chickpeas until crispy, 4-5 mins, shifting regularly.
- Add the ras-el-hanout and fry until fragrant, 2-3 mins.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and half the harissa then lower heat to medium, cover and leave to simmer until reduced and slightly thickened, 10-12 mins.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl mix the yoghurt, remaining harissa and half the chopped mint.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Season the chickpea tagine to taste with salt, pepper and sugar, adding a splash of water if it's become too dry.
- Fluff up the couscous with a fork and divide between bowls.
- Top with the chickpea tagine, roast aubergine and harissa mint yoghurt.
- Garnish with the toasted almonds and remaining chopped mint.