Halloween Bean Quesadillas
with creepy creme fraiche and coriander
Celebrate spooky season with this creepy veggie dish! Made to resemble a menacing mummy, kids will love helping to assemble these bone-chilling bean and cheese quesadillas.
Red Kidney Beans
Chopped Tomato with Onion & Garlic
Mexican Style Spice Mix
Dried Chilli Flakes
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Zest the lime. Juice half and cut the rest into thick wedges.
- Roughly chop the coriander.
- Halve the pepper and discard the core and seeds. Slice into thin strips.
- In a small bowl, mix the creme fraiche, lime zest and half the coriander (double for 4p). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the bell pepper, chopped tomatoes, ½ tsp sugar (double for 4p), chilli flakes (use less if you don't like spice) and Mexican spice mix.
- Stir to combine then leave to simmer until thickened and slightly sticky, 6-8 mins.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse the kidney beans in a sieve. Reserve 8 beans (double for 4p) to use as your mummy's eyes!
- Once the sauce has reduced, add the beans to the pot along with the lime juice and remaining coriander.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.
TIP: Loosen the sauce with a splash of water if it becomes too dry.
- Lay half the tortillas out on a board. Spread some of the bean mixture over each.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Drizzle with BBQ sauce.
- Cut the remaining tortillas into strips about 1cm thick.
- Carefully lay the tortilla strips over the bean mixture. Crisis cross each strip slightly to make a menacing mummy's face.
TIP: If you're not into scary stuff, don't cut the tortilla into strips. Instead, place the remaining tortillas over the top of bean mix to make quesadillas.
- Carefully transfer the creepy quesadillas to a lined baking tray.
- Bake on the top shelf of your oven until golden, 5-7 mins.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and plate up.
- Use reserved kidney beans to make two eyes on each mummy quesadilla.
- Serve with zesty creme fraiche and lime wedges alongside.