with blistered cherry tomatoes
Translated from Italian, melanzane means aubergine, a vegetable that's today integral to the country's cuisine. In this particular recipe, it's slow-roasted and paired with beautifully blistered cherry tomatoes to create a tempting veggie pasta dish.
(Contains Wheat May be present Mustard, Soya)
Grated Italian Style Hard Cheese
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Trim the aubergine then cut into roughly 2cm pieces.
- Pop the aubergine onto a lined baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper then toss to coat.
- Spread out in a single layer. When the oven is hot, roast on the top shelf until the aubergine is soft and golden, 20-25 mins. Turn halfway through.
- Meanwhile, boil a large pot of salted water for the pasta.
- When boiling, add the linguine to the water and bring back to the boil.
- Cook until softened, 12 mins.
- Once cooked, drain in a colander and pop back in the pot, off the heat.
- Drizzle with oil and stir through to prevent sticking.
- When the aubergine has been cooking for 12-15 mins, remove from the oven.
- Pop the tomatoes onto the same tray.
- Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Pop back into the oven for the remaining cooking time, 8-10 mins.
- Meanwhile, halve, peel and finely chop the shallot.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat with a very light drizzle of oil.
- Add the shallot and season with salt and pepper. Fry until softened, stirring occasionally, 4-5 mins.
- Add half the dried Italian herbs (double for 4p). Cook until fragrant, 1 min.
- Pour in the passata and 100ml water (double for 4p). Simmer until slightly reduced, 3-5 mins.
- Pour in the creme fraiche and ½ tsp sugar and allow to warm through, 2-3 mins.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Add the roast tomatoes and aubergine to the sauce along with the linguine.
- Toss everything together until warmed through, 1-2 mins.
- Divide the aubergine linguine between bowls.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of cheese.