Pan-fried Cheese on Spiced Lentils
with caramelised onion and wilted spinach
Soft and sweet caramelised onions are the ultimate complement to the lightly spiced harissa lentils that form the base of this dish. Top it all off with golden fried cheese and you've got a pretty close to perfect meal.
Not included in your delivery
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Drain and rinse the lentils in a sieve.
- Chop the tomato into 1cm chunks.
- Cut the grilling cheese into slices (three per person), place in a bowl of cold water and leave to soak.
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, add the onion then season with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar.
- Fry until soft and sweet, stirring occasionally, 8-10 mins.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 min more.
- Once the onion is caramelised, add the tomato and lentils.
- Stir in 100ml water (double for 4p) along with the muscat.
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat and cover.
- Simmer for 8-10 mins.
- Remove the lid and stir the harissa paste into the lentils.
- Add the spinach, a handful at a time, and stir until wilted and piping hot, 1-2 mins.
- Stir through the honey and a knob of butter.
- When the lentils have 5 mins left to cook, place the cheese on a plate lined with kitchen paper and pat dry.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, add the grilling cheese and fry until golden, 2-3 mins each side.
- Taste and season the lentils with salt and pepper if needed.
- Divide the lentils between bowls
- Serve with cheese on top.