Speedy Sweet and Sour Chicken
with cashews, coriander and jasmine rice
More than just a type of sauce, the term sweet and sour actually refers to a popular cooking method particularly prominent in East and Southeast Asia. Like traditional sweet and sour dishes from these regions, the sauce that coats the chicken and veg in this recipe is slightly sweet with just the right amount of tanginess.
Diced Chicken Breast
(Contains Soya, Wheat)
Red Wine Vinegar
(Contains Cashew nuts May be present Sesame, Cereals containing gluten, Peanut)
Not included in your delivery
- Pour 300ml cold salted water (double for 4p) into a medium pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Stir in the rice and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to medium, cover with the lid and cook for 12 mins.
- Once cooked, remove the pot from the heat.
- Keep covered for another 12 mins or until ready to serve (the rice will continue to cook in its own steam).
- Meanwhile, halve the pepper and discard the core and seeds. Slice into thin strips.
- Halve and peel the onion, then cut each half into 3 wedges.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chicken to the pan and season with salt and pepper. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken and its packaging.
- Fry until starting to brown, 5-7 mins.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is normal due to packaging used to keep it fresh. It will still taste delicious once cooked!
- Add the onion and pepper to the pan and fry until softened, stirring occasionally, 4-5 mins.
- Stir in the ketjap manis, vinegar, tomato paste and 100ml water (double for 4p).
- Leave to simmer until sauce is thickened and the chicken is cooked through, 3-5 mins. IMPORTANT: Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add 2 tbsp sugar (double for 4p).
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork.
- Roughly chop the cashews.
- Roughly chop the coriander (stalks and all).
- Divide the rice between deep bowls.
- Top with the sweet and sour chicken.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and cashews.