Cheese and Chickpea Gyros
with sweet chilli yoghurt filling
The name of this Greek dish literally translates as 'turn' because of the rotisserie cooking method it usually employs. Though Gyros are traditionally made with meat, this veggie version filled with chickpeas and cheese is just as delicious as the original.
Sweet Chilli Sauce
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7 for the flatbreads.
- Drain the grilling cheese then cut into 3cm cubes. Leave in a small bowl of cold water to soak.
- Halve and peel the onion. Thinly slice half (double for 4p).
- Trim the carrot, then coarsely grate (no need to peel).
- Cut the tomato into 2cm chunks.
TIP: You can also dry-fry flatbreads in a pan if preferred.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Place a medium pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- When hot, add the chickpeas and fry for 3-4 mins, stirring constantly. Add the paprika and cook for 1 min.
- Transfer to a bowl and smash the chickpeas with a fork. The consistency should be almost like a paste.
- Add the yoghurt and sweet chilli sauce to the smashed chickpeas. Mix well then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove the cheese cubes from the cold water, pop them onto a plate lined with kitchen paper and pat dry.
- Return (the now empty) pan to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, add the cheese and fry until golden, turning often, 4-5 mins.
- While the cheese cooks, pop the flatbreads onto a baking tray.
- Bake until warm and starting to turn golden, 2-3 mins.
- In a small bowl mix the tomato and sliced onion and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a (separate) large bowl for the salad, mix together a drizzle of oil, salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, toss the salad leaves and carrot through the oil.
- Pile the chickpea mix down the centre of the flatbread.
- Add the cheese, tomato, onion and some dressed salad leaves on top.
- Fold over either side of the flatbread to make your gyros then cut in half.
- Serve with any remaining fillings and salad on the side.