Hake in Garlic Chive Butter
with roast potatoes and baby carrots
The fish in this delicious dish is basted in beautiful lemony garlicy herby butter. These flavours work together to create a sauce that's zesty, rich and fresh all at once.
(Contains Egg, Mustard)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Chop the potatoes into 2cm chunks (no need to peel) and pop onto a lined baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper then toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer.
- When the oven is hot, roast on the top shelf until golden, 25-35 mins. Turn halfway through.
TIP: Use two baking trays if necessary.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the chives (use scissors if you prefer).
- Zest half the lemon (double for 4p) then cut into thick wedges.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Place a pan over high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the carrots until starting to char, 2-3 mins.
- Lower heat to medium and cook for 1 min.
- Add a splash of water and cover with a lid or foil. Cook until tender, 4-5 mins.
- Once cooked, remove from the pan and cover to keep warm.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat with 1 tbsp butter (double for 4p) and a drizzle of oil.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper.
- Once the butter is melted carefully place the hake into the pan. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw fish.
- Fry until cooked through, 4-5 mins on each side.
- Add the chives and garlic to the pan and squeeze in the juice of half a lemon (double for 4p).
- Continuously spoon the butter over the fish for 1-2 mins, then remove from the heat. IMPORTANT: Fish is cooked when opaque in the middle.
- When ready, plate up the hake with the carrots and potatoes alongside.
- Spoon the melted chive butter from the pan over the fish and sprinkle with the lemon zest to finish.
- Serve the aioli and any remaining lemon wedges alongside.