Oven-baked Bacon Risotto
Oven-baked Bacon Risotto
with chilli flakes and fresh parsley
Though not cooked in the traditional way, this dish retains all the hallmarks of a classic risotto. The great news is its oven-baked nature offers a less hands-on approach to dinnertime. Multitaskers rejoice!
Total Time45 minutes
Cooking Time15 minutes
Grated Italian Style Hard Cheese
Dried Chilli Flakes
Not included in your delivery
Energy (kJ)2862 kJ
Energy (kcal)684 kcal
of which saturates9.1 g
of which sugars6.3 g
Dietary Fiber0 g
Due to the different suppliers we purchase our products from, nutritional facts per meal can vary from the website to what is received in the delivered box, depending on your region.
•Large Oven-Proof Pan
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Fill and boil your kettle.
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Zest the lemon. Chop into 4 wedges.
- Place a large, wide-bottom ovenproof pan over medium heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once the pan is hot, add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until browned, stirring occasionally, 5-6 mins.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl and set aside.
TIP: If you don't have an ovenproof pan use a normal one and transfer risotto to an oven dish before baking.
- Pop your (now empty) pan back on medium-high heat and add the onion and bacon lardons.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened and the lardons are browned, 5-7 mins. IMPORTANT: Wash your hands and equipment after handling raw meat. Cook lardons thoroughly.
- Stir the cooked mushrooms and risotto rice into the pan and cook until the edges of the rice are translucent, 1-2 mins.
- Add 500ml boiled water, half the Italian herbs (double for 4p) and the chicken stock powder.
- Stir well to combine.
- Bring back up to the boil, then pop a lid on the pan (or cover with foil) and bake on the middle shelf of your oven until the rice is cooked and the water has been absorbed, 20-25 mins.
- When the risotto is ready, remove it from the oven.
- Stir in a knob of butter (if you have any) and three-quarters of the hard Italian style cheese.
- Stir in a pinch of lemon zest and squeeze in some lemon juice. Add more salt, pepper or lemon zest and juice if needed.
- Roughly chop the parsley (stalks and all).
TIP: Add a splash of water if it's too dry.
- Serve your bacon and mushroom risotto in bowls.
- Top with the parsley and remaining cheese.
- Add chilli flakes to taste (use less if you don't like spice).
- Serve any remaining lemon wedges alongside.