Potato Topped Chicken Pie
with mushrooms and carrots
This savoury, potato-topped chicken pie is the ultimate in comforting recipes. While it acts as the perfect antidote for dark and cold evenings, this simple and delicious dish is really perfect for any occasion.
Diced Chicken Breast
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Boil a large pot of salted water for the potatoes.
- Chop the potatoes into 2cm chunks (peeling optional).
- Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook until fork tender, 12-18 mins.
- Once cooked, drain in a colander and return to the pot, off the heat. Add a knob of butter and a splash of milk. Mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, halve, peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Trim the carrot (no need to peel). Chop into 1cm chunks.
- Pick the thyme leaves and discard the stalks.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- When hot, add the chicken, onion, mushrooms, thyme and carrot.
- Season with salt and pepper. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken and its packaging.
- Cook until the chicken is browned, 10-12 mins (cook in batches if necessary).
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is normal due to packaging used to keep it fresh.
- Meanwhile, peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Add the garlic to the pan and fry for another 30 secs.
- Add 1 tbsp flour (double for 4p) and mix well to incorporate.
- Add stock powder, Worcester sauce and creme fraiche to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 3-4 mins, until the sauce is thick. IMPORTANT: Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
TIP: Loosen the sauce with a splash of water if necessary!
- Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the contents of the pan to an appropriately-sized oven dish.
- Top with the mashed potato.
- Use the back of a spoon to spread it out. Scatter over the grated cheese.
- Bake on the top shelf of your oven for 10-15 mins.
- Transfer the contents of the pan to an appropriately-sized ovenproof dish.
- Top with the mashed potato. Use the back of a spoon to spread it out.
- Bake on the top shelf of your oven until the mash is golden and chicken is cooked through, 10-15 mins. IMPORTANT: Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Serve straight from the dish!