Roasted Aubergine Dahl
with wilted spinach and basmati rice
Dahl is a versatile pulse-based dish from India that comes in many different forms. This one features smoky roasted aubergine and tender wilted spinach simmered in aromatic spices.
Korma Curry Paste
North Indian Style Spice Mix
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Trim and chop the aubergine into 2cm pieces.
- Pop the aubergine onto a large (lined) baking tray. Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle over the North Indian style spice mix. Toss to coat, then arrange in a single layer.
- Roast the aubergine until golden brown and soft, 25-30 mins. Turn halfway through.
- Boil a large pot of salted water for the rice.
- Once boiling, add the rice and cook for 10-12 mins.
- Drain in a sieve and pop back in the pot.
- Cover with a lid and leave to the side until ready to serve.
TIP: If you’re in a hurry you can boil the water in your kettle.
- Meanwhile, halve, peel and chop the onion into small pieces.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened and turning brown, 5-6 mins.
- Drain and rinse the lentils in a sieve or colander.
- Add the korma curry paste and cook, stirring, for 1 min.
- Add 350ml water, ½ tsp sugar (double both for 4p), vegetable stock, lentils and passata.
- Bring to the boil. Once boiling, lower to medium heat and cook until the sauce has reduced, 10-15 mins.
- Stir regularly to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. Add a splash of water if it's starting to get too thick. Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Once the sauce has reduced, add the spinach a handful at a time, stirring, until wilted and piping hot, 2-3 mins.
- Roughly chop the coriander (stalks and all).
- Stir through half the roasted aubergine, half the yoghurt and half the coriander.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Once everything is ready, divide the rice between plates.
- Top with the dahl, add the remaining roasted aubergine and remaining yoghurt.
- Scatter over the remaining coriander.