with crunchy croutons and melted mozzarella
Aubergine Parmigiana is a classic Italian dish that hails specifically from southern Italy. It's such a classic, in fact, that it dates at least as far back as the 1300s. Astounding then, that the very same recipe remains just as sought after—and scrumptious—today.
•Eat Me First
•Cereals containing gluten
Total Time45 minutes
Cooking Time35 minutes
(Contains Cereals containing gluten, Wheat, Barley May be present Milk, Soya)
Grated Italian Style Hard Cheese
Not included in your delivery
Energy (kcal)686 kcal
Energy (kJ)2871 kJ
of which saturates11.6 g
of which sugars23.5 g
Dietary Fiber8.4 g
Due to the different suppliers we purchase our products from, nutritional facts per meal can vary from the website to what is received in the delivered box, depending on your region.
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Cut the aubergine lengthways into ½ cm thick slices. Sprinkle the slices generously with salt on both sides and place in a colander. Let the salt soak in.
- Halve, peel and chop the onion into small pieces.
- Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Roughly chop the parsley (stalks and all).
- Place a pot over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Add the onion, garlic and half the Italian herbs (double for 4p) and fry until softened, stirring occasionally, 4-5 mins.
- Deglaze with the balsamic vinegar, chopped tomatoes and passata.
- Add half the pasley, season with salt, pepper and ½ tsp sugar (double for 4p).
- Cover and simmer for 10-12 mins.
- Meanwhile, tear or cut the mozzarella into small pieces.
- Roughly cut half the baguettes into 2cm chunks to make your croutons.
- Pat the aubergine slices well with kitchen paper and scrape away the salt.
- Place a large pan over high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Fry the aubergine slices (in batches) until golden brown, 4-6 mins. Turn halfway through.
- Remove from the pan and place on kitchen paper to drain.
- Repeat the same method with the remaining aubergine slices.
- Coat the base of an oven dish with tomato sauce.
- Add one-third of the aubergine slices on top. Spoon over one-third of the tomato sauce. Sprinkle on one-third of the grated cheese and one-third of the mozzarella.
- Repeat with remaining aubergine, tomato sauce, mozzarella and grated cheese.
- Scatter croutons over and bake in the oven, 10-15 mins.
- When 5 mins of cooking time remain, pop remaining baguette into the oven to warm through, 2-3 mins.
- Divide the aubergine parmigiana between plates.
- Halve the warmed baguette and serve alongside.
- Garnish with the remaining parsley.