Rich Tomato and Lentil Soup
with Greek style cheese and breadsticks
This warm and rich lentil soup is nourishing and it tastes great too! The addition of crunchy breadsticks and Greek style cheese adds another exciting element to this classic dish.
(Contains Wheat, Barley May be present Soya, Milk)
Greek Style Cheese
Dried Chilli Flakes
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Halve the bell pepper and discard the core and seeds. Slice into thin strips.
- Halve and peel the onion. Cut each half into three wedges.
- Chop the tomato into thick wedges.
- Roughly chop the parsley (stalks and all).
- Add the pepper, onion, tomato and half the parsley to a lined baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil. Season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Toss to coat well then spread out in a single layer.
- Roast on the middle shelf of the oven until tender, 25-30 mins.
- Meanwhile, cut the baguettes into breadsticks 1-2cm wide.
- Arrange on a lined baking tray.
- Drizzle with a little oil if desired.
- Place the breadsticks above the vegetables in the oven and bake until golden and crunchy, 10-14 mins.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse the lentils in a sieve.
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat with the passata, lentils and stock powder.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for 8-10 mins.
- Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Once cooked, remove the veg from the oven and blend to a smooth paste.
- Return the pot with the lentils to high heat.
- Add the pureed veg along with 300ml water (double for 4p) and bring to the boil.
- Loosen the soup with a splash more water if you feel it's too thick. Stir through a knob of butter.
- Season with salt, pepper and 1 tsp sugar (double for 4p).
TIP: Allow the veg to cool a little before blending.
- Divide the tomato and lentil soup between bowls.
- Crumble the Greek style cheese over the top.
- Garnish the soup with chilli flakes (use less if you don't like spice) and remaining parsley.
- Serve with the golden breadsticks alongside.