Sweet Heat Chicken Burger and Cheesy Sticks
with crispy golden potato wedges
Sometimes, opposites attract. Although honey, sriracha and apple cider vinegar may differ in terms of their individual flavour profiles, there's something about the combination of sweet and savoury that just seems to work. Furthering this trend are the soft and warm brioche buns that top the fried chicken burger in this adventurous and delicious dish.
Apple Cider Vinegar
(Contains Milk, Egg, Soya, Wheat May be present Lupin, Nuts, Sesame)
Cajun Spice Mix
(Contains Egg, Mustard)
Not included in your delivery
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas mark 9.
- Chop the potatoes into 2cm wide wedges (peeling optional).
- Pop the wedges onto a large (lined) baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper then toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer.
- When the oven is hot, roast on the top shelf until golden, 25-35 mins. Turn halfway through.
TIP: Use two baking trays if necessary.
- Halve, peel and finely chop the onion.
- Cut the tomato into 2cm cubes.
- Drain the cheese. Halve horizontally then slice into 1cm thick batons. Pop into a bowl of cold water.
- Place your hand on top of the chicken beast. Slice through horizontally to make two steaks. IMPORTANT: Wash hands and equipment after handling raw chicken.
TIP: Notice a stronger smell from your chicken? Don’t worry, this is normal due to vacuum packing used to keep it fresh.
- Place a pot over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, fry the onion until softened, stirring occasionally, 4-5 mins.
- Add the tomato, apple cider vinegar, sriracha, honey and 50ml water (double for 4p).
- Simmer until thickened, 8-10 mins.
- Once cooked, season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
TIP: Loosen the sauce with a splash of water if you feel it's become too thick.
- Drizzle the chicken steaks with oil then season with cajun spice, salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Fry the chicken steaks until golden brown and cooked through, 3-6 mins each side. IMPORTANT: Chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
- Remove from the pan, cover and set aside.
TIP: Cook in batches if your pan is getting overcrowded.
- Remove the cheese from the water and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- In a bowl, beat one egg (double for 4p). To a small plate, add the breadcrumbs.
- Toss the cheese sticks first in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs.
- Return the pan to high heat with enough oil to completely coat the bottom.
- Once hot, carefully lay the breaded cheese into the pan and fry until golden, 3-4 mins. Turn every 1-2 mins, adjusting the heat as needed.
- When everything is almost ready, pop the brioche buns into the oven to warm through, 2-3 mins.
- Once warmed, spread a little aioli over the cut side of each bun.
- Divide chicken steaks between base buns, drizzle over the sweet and spicy sauce then close with top bun.
- Plate the potato wedges and golden fried cheese sticks alongside.
- Use any remaining aioli for dipping.